Advertising/Marketing Account Director with passion for the arts and innovation. Depth and breadth of leadership experience in economic development, advertising, art, graphic recording, meeting facilitation and global non-profit management. A strong and versatile communicator who loves to write and present in front of an audience. Fluent visual vocabulary propels ideas into action quickly whether in civil, entrepreneurial, digital or corporate arenas. Fosters highly collaborative cross-cultural and international working relationships. Insatiably curious.
OWNER: Golden Ratio, LLC: Business, Visual-think and Cross Cultural Engagement Consulting
· Currently embarking on a cultural awakening and economic sustainability project in South Africa I designed working with my teenage son using our art talents, and his athletic ability in the sport of parkour, to break down communication barriers in other cultures and help people launch their lives forward. This project continues in 2018 and 2019 in Uganda and Nepal.
The National Writers Series, Traverse City, Michigan – December 2017-present
· Marketing over 20 events for 2018 line up of New York Times Best Selling Author speaking events through digital and traditional media channels to improve attendance by 20% and build book sales by 30% over year prior
· Researching and writing public relations content for increased media exposure and audience engagement
· Securing and nurturing sponsorship relationships for increased sustainability
SafetyNet, Traverse City, Michigan – January 2017-present
· Leading team of division heads in a Managed IT and Technology Consulting firm, using Game Storming and Graphic Recording to break down barriers, nurture innovation and create new strategies, for improved customer satisfaction, workplace environment, employee retention and process efficiencies
Meeting FacilitationGraphic Recording
Addiction Treatment Services, Traverse City, Michigan – August 2017
· Provided Graphic Recording Team and content strategies for 1st Annual Conference, gaining front page media exposure in Traverse City Record Eagle
· Graphics created were used as key visuals for follow-up community outreach sessions
Rotary Charities, Traverse City, Michigan – Traverse City, Michigan – September 2017
· Created visual notes and graphics, extracted from Community Outreach Sessions conducted through a grant from the Fetzer Foundation to encourage and refine opportunities for Civil Discourse
Capital Campaign Management
Safe Harbor, Traverse City, Michigan – October-December 2016
· Improved donation and compliance efficiency by researching and implementing a new CSR platform
· Consolidated, organized and cleaned data for effective campaign management
· 100% of goal reached allowed emergency homeless shelter to open on schedule, November 2017
Utopia Foundation Inc., Traverse City, Michigan - November 2014-December 2016
· Lead Board of Directors through protocol and processes to make good decisions in compliance with 501(c) 3 bylaws and UF mission, focused on early childhood development and sustainable communities
· Developed and enhanced relationships with Utopia Foundation stakeholders and managing partner projects
· Responsible for compliance, fundraising, events, marketing, public relations (including on-camera) and social media outreach
· Daily interpersonal communication with directors of partner programs in 7 countries: Nepal, Guatemala, Costa Rica, Kenya, Uganda, Ecuador and South Africa
· Managed oversight on two new social enterprise initiatives involving volunteer service trips and a business employing artisans with disabilities and disadvantages
· Created Global Citizen Artist volunteer service projects to benefit in-country partners
· Handled hiring/directing of intern, employee lay-offs, and transition of social enterprise business segments to become privately owned entities
· Board unanimously agreed and recorded in minutes that I was the best ED they ever had
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT DIRECTOR
The Elk Rapids Downtown Development Authority - March 2010 to January 2013
· Created first-ever branding and advertising/marketing campaign for the Village of Elk Rapids, Michigan (including a :30 TV spot)
· Wrote first ever Economic Development Plan.
· Lead the ER DDA to continue marketing and advertising campaign efforts, including development and execution of a $20k media buy and all creative planned for 2011
· Created strategies, campaign and copy for ad campaign and materials, including web content still in use today
· Key player working with Village Manager, the DDA and Northern Lakes Economic Alliance to fill the longest-term (26 years) empty building in town, over 25K sq. ft.
· Initiated first collaborative effort among several area groups and organizations to work with TART Trails to connect and promote bicycle routes through and adjacent to Elk Rapids
· Lead community organizations and local business owners through the process of regional and state economic development through cultivated relationships with: NLEA, MEDC, MSHDA, NWCOG, LIAA, and City of Traverse City Economic Development Corporation
· Elevated Village and Township PR at regional and statewide business conferences, events and media interviews
· Created regional Entrepreneur Series, engaging twelve young rising starts to host and attend monthly on-site social visits to each other’s companies over the course of a year – resulted in product, equipment, packaging and idea exchanges as well as lasting relationships among members
OWNER: Seed Studio Gallery
Elk Rapids and Traverse City, Michigan - May 2009 to November 2012
· Created a gallery space and event venue showing the works of over 50 Chicago and local area artists, in 10 themed exhibits annually
· Contracted, promoted and hosted several sold-out concerts with national performers (approx.10 concerts/year)
· Developed website concept and copy, ad campaign and identity. Maintained ongoing digital media for gallery and community events. Specialized in email campaigns, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and social media blogging as well as traditional print and broadcast PR
· Engaged community through active collaboration with area businesses, economic concerns and education
Advertising/Communications/Marketing/Public Relations Positions, Clients/Brands – (1997-2009)
The National Dairy Board, The American Dairy Association, Ponderosa Steakhouse Corporation, Pepsico (Pizza Hut), Budget Rent a Car Corporation (National/Europe/Asia Pacific), The Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs (Tourism, Economic Development, The Film Office), Follett Corporation, Citicorp.
· V.P. Account Supervisor, Esdale Associates, Chicago
· Marketing Manager, Budget Rent a Car Corporation, Chicago
· Senior Account Executive, Ketchum Advertising, Philadelphia
· Senior Account Executive, D’Arcy Masius Benton & Bowles, Chicago
· Independent Contractor, DDB Needham, and Robinson & Maites Inc., Chicago
Education: B.A. Advertising, Michigan State University - The Advertising Program at MSU is nationally recognized for the thoroughness with which it prepares students for positions in advertising and related fields.
Additional Toolbox Working knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop, MS Office, iMovie, Fluid Visual Vocabulary, Passionate Oil Painter, Experienced Traveler.